When did Scarborough Beach Pool open to the public?
The facility opened on 22 January 2018.
What are the facility opening hours?
Summer Opening Hours
- Monday – Friday: 5.30am – 9.00pm
- Saturday: 6.30am – 8.00pm
- Sunday: 7.30am – 8.00pm
- Public holidays: 8.00am – 6.00pm
Facility opening hours are subject to change, last entry is 15 minutes prior to closing.
How much will it cost me to swim?
You can see the full entry fees for the pool HERE.
Do you offer monthly membership?
Yes! All of our memberships are contract free and completely flexible to suit your needs. For $50 per month you can take full advantage of our world-class beachfront pools, and group fitness classes. More information can be found HERE.
How can I find out more information about the pool?
Enquiries can be emailed to email@example.com
for staff to respond. Additionally we encourage you to follow the Scarborough Beach Pool Instagram
account where we post important information about the pool and its programs.
What is part of the facility?
- Combined 12 lane (50 metre, 8 lane and 25 metre, 4 lane) multiple configuration salt water chlorinated lap pool heated to approx. 26°C to 28°C. Depth of the main pool is 1.2 to 2.2m.
- Separate salt water chlorinated leisure pool for fun and learning to swim which will be heated to approx. 32°C. Depth of the leisure pool is 0 to 0.9m.
- Family change rooms.
- Universally accessible toilet facilities and change room.
- Food and dining outlets – La Capannina (upper level) and Cocolat (lower level).
- 200-seat undercover grandstand spectator area.
- Spacious outdoor grassed informal spectator and programming area.
- Outdoor sunlounge decking area.
How many people can be in the pool at one time?
Approximately 575 people at any one time. Approximately 1,000 people each day are expected to visit when the facility is fully operational.
When did the café and restaurant open?
The café, Cocolat, opened on 18 January. The restaurant, La Capannina, iopened on 1 May. Find out more about the food and dining options.
Are Learn to Swim sessions held at the pool?
Yes, fully qualified and exceptionally trained instructors will be running Learn to Swim programs to suit ages 3 years and up. See the full details on the Learn to Swim program.
What fitness programs and activities are running?
Outdoor group fitness classes, PT sessions, as well as term based health and fitness programs. The facility is also available for a variety of in house sporting clubs and groups. See the full fitness programs available at the pool.
Who paid for the facility and how much did it cost?
Scarborough Beach Pool is a $26 million project that is a City of Stirling initiative. This is in addition to the City’s contribution of $27.4 million towards to the Scarborough Redevelopment in partnership with the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority (MRA).
Are the pools filled with ocean water?
No, both pools are salt-water chlorinated. The option of using ocean water was investigated by the City through the engagement of experienced aquatic engineers to provide recommendations on the most appropriate pool for Scarborough. Unfortunately, the geological environment of the Scarborough Beach foreshore does not lend itself to an ocean pool concept. In addition, pumping ocean water from a clean position in the sea would be logistically difficult and expensive given the level of sand movement along the coastline.
Will the pools be heated?
Yes, all year round! The main lap pool will be heated to approx. 26°C to 28°C and the separate leisure pool will be heated to approx. 32°C. The water will be heated using a geothermal system. This happens as warm water from the geothermal extraction bore is pumped through a heat exchanger and then returns to the ground through the injection bore. Water is then pumped through the other side of the heat exchanger to gain temperature and provide heat to the pools. The geothermal system is estimated to save approximately 1,800 tonnes of CO2 per annum.
How much will parking cost at Scarborough Beach and what are the time limits?
Bays provided by the City for parking are free. Details of parking around Scarborough including a map can be found HERE
on the City's website.
When did the rest of the Scarborough Redevelopment get completed?
The Scarborough Redevelopment was completed in March 2018. This project was led by the MRA, for updates visit www.visitscarborough.com.au
What are some interesting facts about the pool?
- The main pool holds 2.5 million litres and the Learn to Swim pool holds 250 thousand litres – combined this equates to covering almost three international rugby football fields to a depth of 10cm.
- It took approximately five days to fill both pools.
- There have been nearly 2,000m² of tiles laid in the pool.
- Six very large sand filters work constantly to remove sand and other debris that finds its way into the pool from the beach and other sources.
- The total surface area of the pools is 1,607m².
Can a child hold a membership at Scarborough Beach Pool?
Children 13 years and above are eligible for a membership, however a parent or guardian is required to co-sign the membership and direct debit forms.
What is the minimum age for group fitness classes?
Members between the ages of 13 and 15 years old must be accompanied by an adult. Children 12 years of age and under are unable to attend group fitness classes.